*MCT3k* Mystery Champlain Theatre 3000 *MCT3k*

*MCT3k* Mystery Champlain Theatre 3000 *MCT3k*

(02/09/10) Oscar Predictions

Alright well I said that I'd be weighing in on the Oscars with my predictions last week but better a week late than never. And here we go. I'm gonna hit you with me picks real fast here so pay attention.

Actor in a Leading Role?
  • Morgan Freeman for "Invictus"
Actor in a Supporting Role?
  • I think the results at Cannes in May are going to hold true with the Oscars with Christoph Waltz for "Inglourious Basterds" despite Matt Damon's near equally well-done performance in "Invictus"
Actress in a Leading Role?
  • Meryl Streep for "Julie and Julia" definitely. There will never be a better more alive more connected performance of Julia Child than Meryl Streep's in "Julie and Julia"
Actress in a Supporting Role?
  • Mo'nique for "Precious"
Animated Feature Film?
  • While Pixar has dominated this category for nearly a decade, I am going to say that "The Princess and the Frog" will win this one.
Art Direction?
  • I will say that it might be "Avatar" but it could also be "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" and it could be "Sherlock Holmes" three very beautiful films to close out the 2009 year.
Cinematography?
  • "Avatar" It's a fanfare of sights in each frame of this film.
Costume Design?
  • In a film that's such an exhibition for its costumes, "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" is an obvious choice.
Directing?
  • It all comes down to either that crapweasle Quentin Tarantino for "Inglorious Basterds" or James Cameron for "Avatar". Due to how I referred to Mr. Tarantino, I bet you know where I stand on this one.
Documentary (Feature):
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers” Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith
Documentary (Short Subject):
  • China’s Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province” Jon Alpert and Matthew O’Neill
Film Editing?
  • Once again I'll say either "Avatar", "District 9", or "Inglorious Basterds"
Makeup?
  • "Star Trek" hands down.
Best Original Score?
  • I'm going to go with a James Horner win for "Avatar". Even though I enjoyed Hans Zimmer's work with "Sherlock Holmes", the score was no "Gladiator".

Best Original Song?
  • Well it definitely goes to "The Princess and the Frog" and to be more specific I'll say to "Almost There" not since the 90s have we seen such quality hand-drawn animated song-filled Disney cinema and it shows here with the film's 2 Oscars nominations.
Best Picture?
  • Like I said last time, it is a 10-film smackdown this year and having this many competitors is something I've not seen in my lifetime. I am going to say that it could be "Avatar" but I will personally be rooting for "District 9" in my opinion it was just a fantastic film and very well done. Another thing I'll say here is that for the first time since "Beauty and the Beast" was nominated, there hasn't been an animated film in the running and "Up" could prove a contender here as well. I'm skeptical with "Up" though. I went to the theatres this summer expecting "Up" to be a cashcow financing project to fund Pixar's "Toy Story 3" but I was pleasantly surprised. I still don't think it's Best Picture material though. We cannot count out "Inglorious Basterds" either this year especially due to its grand achievements at Cannes in May.

Short Films?
  • I'm gonna be honest with ya here. I haven't seen any of these short films nominated this year but the short film category usually never disappoints. So don't just blow off that category as a bathroom break when watching this year.

Sound Editing?
  • I'm gonna go with "Avatar" on this one. And I think it might scoop up most of the technical awards at this year's Oscars.
Sound Mixing?
  • Another category with no clear winner. I'm gonna say either "Avatar" or "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" although it could very well go to "Inglorious Basterds" or "Star Trek" as well. But I'm kind of leaning towards Avatar here.
Visual Effects?
  • This category is a toss-up. I honestly think it could go either of three ways. All three of these films produced stunning visual effects this year. "Avatar" gave us a bouquet of sight and sound on screen while "District 9" used its visual effects to create cinematic realism in the sci-fi elements and drew us further into the film by giving the appearance of a documentary film. "Star Trek" Wowed us with visuals not previously seen in a Trek movie, using them to make the film a truly re-imagined piece.

Best Adapted Screenplay?
  • I think the obvious choice here is “District 9” Written by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell
Best Original Screenplay?
  • I'm gonna go with “Inglourious Basterds” Written by Quentin Tarantino.

No comments:

Post a Comment